Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Google Maps Mania is digging Dubai

For the past week I've been at a trade show with my work here in Dubai, UAE (hence the thin posting) This is my second time here. The first was last year at this time for the same event. Things have definitely changed in one year with even more high rise towers and double the number of construction cranes dotting the horizon. There's a boom in development here and it doesn't look like it's stopping anytime soon. Take a look down below for my trip photos and videos..


Coincidentally, just as I was touching down here I was contacted by Hesham Amiri who informed me of the first known Dubai Google Maps mashup called Map.Ocit.AE. Hesham describes it as "..a site based on the Google Maps API targeted for residents and visitors of the Emirate of Dubai where users can add interesting markers, comments and bookmarks." And for even more Google Maps based information about Dubai be sure to check out the ever-essential travel resource: Wikimapia (Dubai zoom-in).


I've been trying to get as much sightseeing in as possible in the evenings and I've had a fantastic time. I even made the trip to the Mall of the Emirates last evening to take some runs in the indoor ski hill called Ski Dubai.. and it wasn't too bad! :) I've busy with my digital camera capturing everything I can and I have the following personal photos and clips if you're interested (check back in 2 or 3 days when I'll add more to this pool. Until then expect some time before my next post as I journey back to Canada. Explore some of the mashup and tools links along the right side of the blog.. Here are the pics and videos:

Flickr Photo Set: Dubai 06 - Here is one great shot from Flickr user Trimpop that looks down Sheikh Zayed Road in Dubai. It shows the already present residential and business towers with the Burj Dubai being constructed off in the distance. This will be the tallest building in the world once complete. (Here are my photos from last year)

YouTube videos: Two clips showing the in-seat video channels that show live camera views out the front and belly of the Emirates flight I was on - Taking off from Heathrow and a landing in Dubai. And finally, here are some short video clips of the Ski Dubai facility: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts