Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Fourth of July on Google Maps

With the Fourth of July falling on a Friday this year firework shows and Independence Day events have been planned for the whole weekend. This year many local news organisations have taken advantage of Google My Maps to provide handy Google Maps of events in their area.

The4th

The4th is a Google Maps mash-up that shows the locations of Fourth of July events in Boston, Chicago, LA, Miami, New York, San Francisco, and Washington DC.

Each city has its own Google Map. Events are listed in a sidebar and the location is shown on a Google Map.

Seattle Fourth of July Events
The Seattle Times has produced a handy Google My Map of Fourth of July celebrations around Washington.

South Florida Fourth of July Fireworks


The Sun Sentinel has compiled a Google Map of firework shows in South Florida. The map includes a handy little gadget which can calculate the distance of each event from your home. The nearest event to me is 4394 miles - so I think I had better leave now.

Tri-State Fourth of July Events
WLWT has created a Google My Map of events in the Cincinnati area.

I'm sure there are many more out there. So if you have produced a Google My Map of Fourth of July events or have seen a Google Map of events leave a comment and I will be happy to add it to the list.

If you are planning to visit an event this weekend you might want to check the weather before you leave - Google Maps Weather Mashups (links in the right-hand sidebar).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts